The N/a’an ku se charity lodge, wildlife-sanctuary-and-a-whole-bunch-of-other-stuff is looking for a filmmaker. It’s not a high-paying job, but it’s a good cause and a great opportunity to hang out in Namibia and take pictures of cool stuff.
The organization occupies a large piece of land just east of Namibia’s capital Windhoek, where a number of different kinds of wildlife roam free, and carnivores that have run into conflict with humans are being rehabilitated (where possible) for return to the wild. They have one of Namibia’s only populations of wild dogs. They also maintain a clinic and a preschool, as well as providing employment and other support, for many of Namibia’s San people, its most impoverished and vulnerable ethnic group. Oh and they’ve got a lodge and vacation getaway packages too, where you can just hang out on the grounds and possibly stay in the same cabin where Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie stayed in when they came to Namibia and established the Jolie-Pitt Foundation at N/a’ankuse. So what would you do? In exchange for three months’ room and board, you’d get to hang around and film stuff, and put together promotional videos, equipment provided.
The N/a’an ku se website provides the details on the job listing but it’s a bit tricky to find. I’ve pasted a copy of the job description below:
Overall responsibility To photograph, film and edit a suite of short videos for the promotion of the N/a’an ku sê Foundation and its projects. This ranges from corporate promotions of our accommodations to short thank messages for our major donors and documenting animal releases and activities at our school and clinic.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Film and edit promotional videos of our sanctuary, lodge and satellite sites.
- Create an end of year thank you video for our sponsors – with support from Digital Marketing Manager.
- Take footage of relevant interest around the Sanctuary – these include the animals, the Clever Cubs (school children), our satellite sites, patients and activities at the Lifeline Clinic and the Volunteers.
- Take photograph stills of animals, volunteers, school children, our satellite sites and patients and activities at the lifeline clinic.
- Maintain and update the photo and video library with consistent labeling.
- Maintain Computer and Filming equipment.
- Work with the Digital Marketing Manager on the upload and management of Films on Youtube and Facebook
- Consults with: Head of Fundraising, Marketing and Media, Fundraising Manager, Sanctuary Directors, Financial Manager Qualifications/Experience
- Relevant experience of photography, video editing and shooting.
- Experience of Final Cut Studio (FCP 7.0, Motion, DVD studio Pro etc) Equipment Provided
- Macbook Pro 5.3 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM Running Snow Leopard.
- 4 x external HD (3x USB, 1 x Firewire 800)
- 1 x Panasonic HDC-HS100 Camera
- 1 x Canon HG20 Camera
- 2 x Tripods (although not in perfect condition)
Term of employment The role is a three month voluntary placement: food and accommodation provided throughout. Start Date: ASAP
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter as well as a link to a sample of your work to email@example.com.
Last time we visited N/a’ankuse I made a few videos – check ’em out: