We lived in Chennai, India for two years. The people of South India love photography and they love being photographed. If you’re ever in Chennai, we recommend you track down one of several photowalk groups, such as Chennai Photowalk – join them on a Sunday for a stroll through a different part of the city each week.
- Southern SuburbIndia: Kolams and Cows – Kolams in Chennai.
- Chennai: Early Impressions – Driving in Chennai.
- Chennai Snake Park – Fun outing.
- R.A. Puram, Chennai, in Photos – Walking around the neighborhood.
- Impressions of Chennai: Protecting Buildings from the Evil Eye
- Driving in Chennai: Timelapse
- R.A. Puram, Chennai, in Photos 2 – More impressions.
- R.A. Puram, Chennai, in Photos 3 – Still more impressions.
- Riding in a Rickshaw – Public transporation in Chennai.
- More Scenes from the Hood – Chennai, India. Clearly, I’m fascinated.
- St. Thomas Basilica or San Thome Church – in Chennai, India.
- Chennai: At the Beach – Not a happy place.
- Chennai Fish Market – Photos.
- At a South Indian Wedding – Photos and impressions.
- Ganesha Chathurthi, Chennai Style – Religious celebration. Photos.
- Ganesha Chathurthi, Chennai Style, Part 2 – Video.
- Passing Out in India (It’s Not What You Think) – About a military ceremony.
- The International Coastal Cleanup: Chennai, India
- Chennai Photowalk: In Search of Golu – Photowalk impressions.
- Chennai Photowalk Part 2: Streets at Night – Mylapore – Video and photo.
- Chennai Photowalk Part 3: Kapeelashwarar Temple – Video and Photo.
- Ayuda Pooja in our Community – We celebrate with our domestic staff(s)
- Photowalk: Triplicane – Street photography.
- Photowalk: Diwali – Important holiday. Scenes from the streets.
- Sunday Walk Through the Hood – Impressions.
- Photowalk: Chintadripet – Impressions.
- Odd Jobs in Georgetown – Photo study.
- Photowalk in Georgetown: Poses.
- Photowalk in Georgetown (Chennai, India): the Flower Market.
- Christmas Photowalk – Impressions from T. Nagar, a shopping district.
- Mylapore’s Annual Kolam Contest – Photo and video.
- Documenting the Dhobis – A laundry washing community/caste.
- Guindy National Park – Animal reserve/park in the middle of Chennai.
- Badrian Street and the Flower Market – Photo impressions.
- Blessed: My Entry for the “India Is” Contest – About the Jains feeding the pigeons.
- Chennai’s Walls: An Endless Canvas – Wall art and graffiti
- Chennai: Grit and Grain
- Chennai: Textures
- Baby Olive Ridley Sea Turtles – Releasing baby Ridleys into the sea.
- Kasimedu Fishing Harbor – Video and Photo
- Photographing Chennai’s Kids – portraits
- Impressions of Koyambedu – a massive market complex.
- Day at the Beach – Marina beach, Chennai.
- It’s Jackfruit Season in India! – We taste this odd but delicious fruit in Chennai.
- Gypsies in India – A hidden community in Chennai.
- Photowalk: Gritty Black and White – Ricoh Kr-5 plus Tri-X
- Return to the Dhobi Khana – The laundry washing community. With drone video.
- Chennai by Night: Bhogi – Another holiday. Photos.
- Chennai’s Republic Day Parade – Impressions.
- Pongal in Chennai /Camera Test – Important holiday seen through a 1950s lens.
- When 2000 Ganesha Idols are Immersed in the Sea – Video and photo on Ganesha Chathurthi in Chennai. Must-see.
- The Chennai Photowalk – Reminiscing about these fun walks.
- The Final Chennai Photowalk.
- It’s a Long, Long Way to Pondicherry – Photos and Impressions.
- Pondicherry: First Impressions – Photos.
- Going to Goa: Shri Mangeshi Temple and Procession – Video and Photo impressions.
- Going to Goa: Sakahari Spice Plantation – And I thought pepper came from Safeway.
- Going to Goa: On the Beach – Beach photography
- Going to Goa: Sights on the Streets – Impressions.
- Going to Goa: Rome of the East – Religious (Christian) buildings.
- Going to Goa: Spotted at the Beach – More wandering photography
- Goa is for the Birds – Literally – About the Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary.
- Swimathon: A Drone’s Eye View – Annual swimathon in Goa.
- Drones, Kingfishers, and Joey Cook’s Ukulele – Drone footage from the bird sanctuary.
- Hanging Around in Hyderabad – Impressions.
- Hanging Around in Hyderabad (2nd Post) – More impressions.
- Hanging Around in Hyderabad (Post #3) – Mosque, b/w.
- Monkeying Around in Jaipur – We visit Rajasthan.
- MORE Monkeying Around in Jaipur – We walk around the city.
- Jaipur, India – Street Photography Goldmine
- Birdwatching from the Hotel Pool – We finally succumb to the heat, and learn about bee-eaters.
- Strolling (and Rafting) Through Rishikesh – Photo and Video.
- The Ashram: Following in the Beatles’ Footsteps – Where the Beatles stayed in India. We had to sneak in at the time.
- Varanasi by Night – Photo and video.
- Death Along the Ganges – Looks at Indians’ relationship with death via photos.
- Varanasi – In and Around Town – Impressions of the city.
- Varanasi: Walking the Ghats – We walk from one end to the other.
- Varanasi: The View from Mother Ganga – See the city from the river.
- Tirakalukundram – Temple on top of a hill.
- The Dune Beach Eco Hotel – south of Chennai. Photos and impressions.
- Indian Entrepreneur: Kolam Maker – Short video
- We Two Ours One – About an odd thing you see on every other truck.
- Repurposing Indian Doors – A project to build shelves for my vintage cameras
- Multi-Camera Composites – Experimenting with scenes in Chennai
- Checking in With Rocky – Meeting the amazing subject of a Sundance winner.
- Indian Portraits from the 1950s and 1960s – Found in an antique shop.
- Hiking in a Himalayan Hailstorm – We hike from a mountain resort.
- Thousands of bugs were bubbling up out of the ground…you’ll never guess what happened next! – video.
- Introducing Analog/film Cameras to a New Generation – Project.